Monday 28 May 2007

A bit too deep for bank holiday Monday

I don't know about you but my head is often full of useless, questions, taking up room in my brain and i felt this might be a solution to answer them. Please feel free to post your answers so I can fill my brain up with other questions, probably just as useless. If you have any questions then please go ahead as well

OK first off - the word 'bugbear' (context - my biggest bugbear is people that don't eat meat). Does this expression derive from something? Like a bear being annoyed by bugs? Or bugs being annoyed with bears?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

A bugbear is a legendary creature roughly analogous with the bogeyman, bogie, bugaboo, hobgoblin and other creatures used to frighten children. Using the term euphemistically in a more modern context, a bugbear is merely an irritant rather than a mythic beast. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as "an imaginary goblin or specter used to excite fear", "an object or source of dread" or "a continuing source of irritation."
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugbear

Fiona said...

Welcome "?"

I do have one question - who are you?

Dawn said...

Yeah, come on '?'. It's like having the "Artist formally known as Prince" on the blog-circiut.

Fiona said...

I'm always telling my kids not to talk to people on the internet they don't know...............SO...it's up to you!!!

Unknown said...

I think it makes it more exciting!

Fiona said...

I never took you to be the daring one Kirsty!!!! They could be a weirdo!!! (obviously if I know you, you probably aren't, so sorry)

Fiona said...

Actually, on consideration, I do know some weirdos!!!

Ann said...

We could play "Guess Who" and by a process of questioning get to the answer...assuming we know the person?

So I will start.....do you have blond hair ?

? said...

Nope

Dawn said...

Wear glasses?

Jenny said...

good game Ann!
Hello ? are you female?